- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 2 inch bulb of ginger, very finely minced
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped green cabbage
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2-3 tbsp. soy liquid seasoning
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. chili paste
- 1/4 cup green onion
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 45g uncooked vermicelli noodles
- 1 package vegan wonton wraps (local asian market brand)
- 1 cup of water
- sesame oil for cooking
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy liquid seasoning
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tbsp. chili paste
- 1 tsp. sesame chili oil
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- handful chopped green onion or chive
1. In a large pan heat your sesame oil on medium heat. Add your ginger and garlic and sauté, while stirring frequently to infuse your oil. After about 1-2 minutes add your ginger, mushroom, cabbage and carrots. Cook for around 5 minutes or until your vegetable have cooked down, this might almost be by half! To the mixture add the sesame seeds, liquid soy seasoning, maple syrup and chili paste and cook another 2-3 minutes or until there is no liquid in the pan. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2.Boil a small pot of water and cook your vermicelli noodles. Follow the instructions on the packet and once cooked add to the vegetable mixture and stir till well combined.
3. To put these babies together, spoon 1 heaped tablespoon of filling onto each wonton wrapper. Brush water (could also use your fingers) around the edge of the wrapper. Fold the dough over the filling to create a half moon shape, pinching the edges inward to seal – see video reference above. Repeat till you’ve used up all the filling! Optional, oil the base of your potstickers and dunk in sesame seeds for that added crunch.
4. To cook, heat a large cast iron skillet or pan with oil on medium-high heat . Once hot, add the potstickers and cook for around 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Pour 1/4 cup of water and 1 tbsp soy seasoning into the pan and cover with a lid. Turn heat to medium and let the dumplings steam for 3 minutes. Serve immediately with sauce.
5. For the sauce, simply add your ingredients into a bowl and stir till combined!